Amazon Echo has some new home security features which are rolling out right now. Among other things, the Amazon Echo can make it sound like a dog barking inside your home if the security cameras sense the action when you are not at home.
The feature is part of Alexa Guard Plus, A subscription service that costs $ 4.99 a month or $ 49 a year after a 30-day free trial period. It’s another way it uses Amazon Echo to generate recurring revenue from its devices, but it’s also useful for people who may not want to pay for a complete security system.
Guard Plus can also alert you to any sounds in your home using the Amazon Echo and sound an alarm if indoor activity is detected. You can also ask your Echo device to call the emergency helpline if you are home and there is an intruder.
Here’s how to set it up:
Amazon Alexa Guard
Todd Hasselton | CNBC
- First you need Subscribe to the trial version on AmazonOr, say, „Alexa, try Guard Plus” near the Amazon Echo.
- Open the Alexa app on your phone.
- Click „More” at the bottom left.
- Choose settings.
- Click on „Guardian” at the bottom of the page.
- You will see an option to set up Guard with your current devices, but it is easier to click on the Settings icon on the top right of the page to cycle through all the options.
- Choose „Dog Barking Sounds” under „Deter” to set your Echo to try to frighten intruders while you are away. This requires external or external cameras. Select the cameras you want to use.
- Choose „Activity Sounds with Siren” to sound the siren if you are away from home and hear someone inside. Amazon warns that a pet can cause this, so keep this in mind.
- Finally, click on „Emergency Help Line”. This is where you will enter your address in case you need access to help. If you have an emergency, just say „Alexa, call for help”. He will call „trained agents who can request the dispatch of emergency responders – like the police, fire department, or ambulance on your behalf.” Note that this is not a 911 and only available in the U.S. dealerships are available 24/7.
If you don’t want to pay, there is also a free tier of Alexa Guard that is very useful.
For example, you can select „Away Lighting” under „Deter”, which turns smart lights on and off when you are away to make them look like you are at home. Amazon says it learns from your usual patterns, so it’s just not random.
The free tier can also alert you to smoke and carbon monoxide alarm sounds, or if your Echo hears glass breaking. Just select „Sound Detection” under „Detect”.
Once done with the setup, just say „Alexa, I’m leaving” to turn the remote mode on.
You can also set Alexa to guard from your phone when you leave home. When you get home, just say „Alexa, I’m home.”
„Geek din cultura pop. Ninja extrem de zombie. Scriitor profesionist. Internet maven.”