The Governor of Rhode Island is emerging as the leading candidate for the Department of Commerce
Rhode Island Governor Gina Raimondo has emerged as the leading candidate for commerce secretary to President-elect Joe Biden, according to people familiar with the matter.
why does it matter: Raymondo, a Rhodes researcher who co-founded a venture capital firm in Rhode Island earlier in her career, prioritized good relationships with the business community, the target audience for commerce.
- However, Raimundo has also bumped into unions as she works to fix pension plans for public servants in Rhode Island.
- She also served as the national co-chair of Mike Bloomberg’s presidential campaign, endorsing Biden only after the former New York mayor withdrew.
- A Biden transition official declined to comment.
The Big Picture: Biden He was thinking A prominent CEO or Republican to lead the Commerce Department.
- When considering Raimondo, it appears to be moving to a more traditional option.
- Raymondo, 49, the former president of the Democratic Governor’s Association, is seen as a rising star in her party.
The plot: Raymondo was also under consideration to work as Secretary of Health and Human Services, a position that eventually transferred to California State Attorney Xavier Becera.
- In early December, she appeared to be graduating from the race by saying during a press conference, „I will not be President-elect Biden’s candidate for HHS’s secretary.”
„Creator. Amator de cafea. Iubitor de internet. Organizator. Geek de cultură pop. Fan de televiziune. Mândru foodaholic.”